• September 27, 2013: Breaking News!! 'The Following' and James Purefoy at NY ComicCon, Sunday, Oct 13th, 2013!
BURBANK, Calif. (September 27, 2013) - Warner Bros. Television returns to New York Comic Con with two hit shows both produced locally in the New York area: last season's #1 new series The Following and acclaimed third-season crime thriller Person of Interest. Confirmed to attend New York Comic Con 2013 for panel sessions and autograph signings with fans on Sunday, October 13, are The Following stars Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy, Valorie Curry, Shawn Ashmore and Connie Nielsen, along with executive producers Kevin Williamson and Marcos Siega, as well as Person of Interest stars Taraji P. Henson, Sarah Shahi, Amy Acker and Kevin Chapman, with executive producer Greg Plageman.
Read more at
US fans, we will most likely be looking for it on YouTube!!
Pics: Rob Collins & James Purefoy on set of itv's Great British Treasures. From Portable Antiquities Scheme on FB. James Purefoy in Northumberland "Holding the remains of the Alnwick Sword for itv Great British Treasures"
• 'The Following' Season1 DVD/Blu-ray to now be released on January 7, 2014.
The Following - Announcement for 'The Complete 1st Season' Starring Kevin Bacon/James Purefoy in new thriller, coming to DVD and Blu-ray Disc
Edge-of-your-seat thriller THE FOLLOWING is created by Kevin Williamson ("Dawson's Creek," "Scream" franchise) and stars Golden Globe Award-winning Kevin Bacon ("X-Men," "Frost/Nixon") and James Purefoy ("Rome"). The spellbinding and intense drama follows an ex-FBI agent (Bacon) called out of retirement to track down a devious and diabolical serial killer (Purefoy), the mastermind behind a nationwide string of murders.
Warner Home Video has announced that January 7th will see the release, on DVD and Blu-ray/DVD Combo, of The Following - The Complete 1st Season. Priced at $39.98 SRP (4 discs) and $49.99 SRP (7 discs) respectively, the studio has said to expect bonus material on this title, but hasn't given the details of those extras just yet. The Blu-ray/DVD Combo version will also include Ultraviolet digital versions of the episodes.
• January 30, 2013: Fox Lounge, Rapid Fire tv spot for The Following!
• September 27, 2012: THIS WEEKEND Solomon Kane opens in limited release in US theaters! If it's playing near you, don't miss it, and tell everyone to go see it! We need a wider release and great success so we get those sequels!
The latest, lovely, photos of James from events over the past few days: GettyImages & Zimbio
• September 7, 2012: Tonight is the Stand Up To Cancer special on various network stations. James was in the ad for this so I'm pretty sure he'll make an appearance. More info here and be sure to check your local listings.
• August 23, 2012: Solomon Kane movie is released on VOD via iTunes today!
Check out Solomon Kane, The Official Movie Magazine on your iPad/iPhone, other device, and/or on your computer- a must for fans of the movie & Solomon Kane mythology!
Save 47% off the newsstand price!
The 148-Page magazine includes exclusive interviews with star James Purefoy, and the supporting cast, director Michael J. Bassett and producers Michael and Paul Berrow and Samuel Hadida. The magazine also features behind the scenes photography from the Solomon Kane set, sumptuous artwork and production storyboards with accompanying commentary from the creative team. Plus, much more must-have material for any fan of Solomon Kane, the man, the myth, the movie.
• August 20, 2012: Just returned last night from the Edgar Rice Burroughs Centennial event in Calif. I was there as a fan and to help promote our Back To Barsoom sequel campaign. It was an incredible time and myself, as well as the other admins for the BtoB campaign got to meet John Carter producer, Jim Morris. We feel even more confident now that we can help make the sequels happen!
Also, US poster and some screen shots from Solomon Kane. Same poster used for a few other countries, but a good one. DreadCentral.com
Also, The John Carter Sequel Campaign will have a booth at Comic Con! The Van Eaton Galleries, Booth #501.
Fans fight for John Carter sequels on their own dime and time!!
Spread The Word! Make Our Presence Known! Take Us Back To Barsoom!!!
• July 11, 2012: EXCELLENT NEWS!! Finally!!
Solomon Kane to be released in the US!!
Michael Bassett: "Holy crap this one has taken a long time... I think elephants make babies quicker. Still, better late than never so, it is with enormous pleasure and a huge sigh of relief that I can tell you all that Solomon Kane is going to be released in the US later this year by The Weinstein Company's new division Radius. It's going to have a premium VOD release on August 24th followed by a cinema release on September 28th. I currently have no details on the extent of that theatrical run but I suspect it will be what's called 'key' areas - so probably 15 or so cities in the US. Not world beating and it's going to need lots of support to find the audience but there'll be enough interest to hopefully put Kane back on the map and in a place where we can sensibly talk of sequels.
If you really can't wait to see it in the fall, and you find yourself in Comic Con this Friday there's going to be a little screening of the movie with James Purefoy and myself there to say hi. Starts at 9:15pn at the Gaslight theatre in San Diego. Most of the tickets are going to be give-aways and suchlike but I'm told there's going to be a rush line too. So there's a good chance you can catch it on the big screen."
In honor of James Purefoy's upcoming appearance at Comic Con SD, Celinda Steinman has shared with us her photo gallery of James at the Comic Con Solomon Kane panel! Awesome! Thanks hon! :D (via FB so you'll need an acct to see the gallery) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...
• May 2, 2012: James tweeted this today: "Recording the first ever dramatisation of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for BBC radio 4 today. Fascinating stuff." You can follow James on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/#!/jamespurefoy
James has been making the rounds lately! He was was at the South Bank Sky awards in London at the Dorchester Hotel:
• April 14, 2012: Madeleine Stowe tells us that when Revenge returns, things will really be heating up between Victoria and her new love interest, Rome actor James Purefoy. "I call him much more than a love interest," she teases to us. "He's a beautiful man and it's a very visceral, physical kind of [relationship]. I think ABC had to go through and see what they could actually leave on the air or not, so I don't know what's going to end up being cut! But it's a very deep love, yes." Ooh la la!
• April 11, 2012: Action Fest starts Tomorrow, April 12 and opens with the screening of Solomon Kane at the Diana Wortham Theater in downtown Asheville, NC! Schedule: http://actionfest.com/2012-schedule/
Latest Solomon Kane news via Michael Bassette's Blog:
"Solomon Kane; It's all exciting and there is an announcement planned but it's going to come around the time Kane screens at ActionFest. I won't be able to be there but James Purefoy is going to try and make and introduce the movie. Suffice to say that I'm very confident that, depending where you live, my American friends will get to see Kane in theatres later this year. And, as I said here before, when the time comes I'll be asking you all to really help create a positive vibe for the film. But more details as I have them." http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/update-24th-march/
Fans, let's get John Carter some great box office numbers this week and coming weekend! Overseas it's done marvelously, but in the US it hasn't done as well as it deserves! Please promote wherever you can, take your friends and family to see it, and share your great review of the film with everyone! I've seen it 3 times now and I want to go again! I adore the film! It deserves great success so we get our sequels (with more James)!
Two supurb promotional tools are the fan trailers that have gotten huge buzz because they're better than the official ones. Share these everywhere!
• March 10. 2012: John Carter takes #1 Friday Box Office! YES! I've no doubt it will take the weekend, too, due to excellent word of mouth and repeat viewings (I'm going for the third time tomorrow with friends). InsideMovies.ew.com...
Read a bit more about James' character in the upcoming episodes (17 and 18) of Revenge:
"How will Victoria's new love interest enter the picture?
Kelley: This guy is somebody that's hooked into her deep past from before Conrad and David Clarke, somebody with intimate knowledge of the young Victoria and who she was before she started making all of these very dark choices. He's part of one of her very first dark choices. There's a lot of passion, a lot of danger and a lot of honesty that is going to surface with this guy.
How will his return affect Victoria going forward and her feelings about the family and about Emily?
Kelley: The relationship pops up as more of a secret for Victoria to keep. It's something that will — when it comes to light — become a problem. She will meet her former lover again in Episode 17 and then we will jump forward several months into the winter in Episode 18 and they will have continued on this affair and have become quite close." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837642/board/thread/195555634
Check out the Extended Super Bowl ad for John Carter!
• February 1, 2012: On this, the 100th Birthday of the original John Carter story, we have.... now hold on to your hearts, friends... the FIRST image of James as Kantos Kan from the upcoming film! My friend Eric (huge thanks) scanned this (and I just ordered the book that contains it here): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0736428739/..
The very best place to get all the latest John Carter movie news and more is Barsoomia.org!!
And here is a nice simple graph outlining just how threatened our freedoms online would be. This site would be stripped clean of almost all content (videos, images, etc) if these bills are passed: http://www.keepthewebopen.com/sopa-vs-open
We want to end piracy, but not at the expense of the freedoms the rest of us enjoy.
• January 11, 2012: I hope everyone is having a very Happy New Year! Things have been pretty quiet lately here, but there are a few little things to share.
- Firstly, here are some search results where you can go visit various entertainment pages talking about "300: Battle of Artemesia" and add your comments about casting James as Themistocles opposite Eva Greene. I really hope he gets that role!!
• December 20, 2011:
Word has it that James Purefoy may be up for the role of Themistocles in "300: Battle of Artemesia" He's a warrior and leader of the Greeks. Eva Green has been offered the part of Artemesia opposite Themistocles. Talk of this film and casting is all over the message boards and we need to go mention how much we'd LOVE to see James in this role and acting alongside Eva Greene again!Let's campaign for James!! I'm sorry I don't have any direct links to share but if you do a web search, visit http://www.imdb.com and other film sites, you should be able to find entries and comments about this film and casting where you can write your own posts to support our James and spread word of our desire for him to be in this film! Let's Go!! :D -Nada
Also, another snippet from director Michael Bassett's Blog that mentions Solomon Kane: "...I'm really just an observer in these matters because I'm not a producer and don't have the millions of dollars on the line that they do. A decision seems to imminent but ev en when there is one, I'm not going to be able to tell you guys. It's all very secretive, for some reason. It's the same with Solomon Kane - I have news which is very exciting but can't say a thing yet." http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/update-5th-december/
• December 4, 2011: Here's a really nice interview with James for Solomon Kane that I don't remember seeing before. http://run.showtimes.com
• November 28, 2011: James speaks out in a video for Amnesty International about the sad story of Natalia Estemirova. :(
And, James talks about stage to screen at the BFI London Film Festival. James comes in at about 8 minutes in.
• November 25, 2011: Happy Thanksgiving to all of James' US fans and blessings to everyone around the world. :)
James goes comedy in Rev, viaTelegraph.co.uk... "Pure fun comedy - Having camped up his roles as Mark Antony in Rome and King Lot in Camelot, James Purefoy is moving in to straight comedy. The 47-year-old actor has signed up to appear in the second series of Episodes, the BBC sitcom starring Tamsin Greig. "People see me with a sword and chopping people's heads off, doing serious stuff, but I've wanted to do a romantic comedy for a long time," he tells Mandrake. Speaking at Action Aid's Call My Wine Bluff event, he adds: "If people don't find me funny, then I will retire gracefully from the world of comedy."
• October 31, 2011: Happy Halloween!! Got a lovely video of James interviewed via DNA "Digital News Agency"
And, some gorgeous images of James over at WireImage! Sighhhh
• October 29, 2011: A nice little video about Injustice. James and the other stars talk about it. Ah, he's so handsome!
• October 27, 2011: James attended the premiere of The Deep Blue Sea at the BFI 55th London Film Festival. Images at Getty! NICE :D http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/130628570/Getty-Images-Entertainment
• October 21, 2011: Loads of images of James in Monaco at the Roger Dubuis - Soiree Monegasque at Hotel de Paris:
• October 15, 2011: A cute little tidbit about one of James's stage experiences: ..."An actor doesn't have that luxury, as James Purefoy once discovered when performing at the National Theatre. He dried terribly, a third of the way through a two-page monologue. Instead of panicking, he told me, he decided to "go for a wander" – that is, do a circuit of the stage. But then he started to think: what happens if I get back to the front of the stage and I still don't know the line? Sure enough, that's what happened, so he did another circuit. Luckily, this time some words tumbled out and the monologue came back to him."
- Nigel Farndale, Telegraph.co.uk
• October 6, 2011: James is a Mac user and lover of Apple products, as I am. It was very sad learning of the passing of Steve Jobs. May he have peace and may his legacy live on and continue to enrich lives. Thanks, Steve, for bringing us into the 21 Century with your innovations!
• September 27, 2011: James Purefoy backs Ed Miliband in celebrity video for Labour party conference. http://menmedia.co.uk
• September 25, 2011: The Making of Solomon Kane video. Thanks so much Aby for sending the link:
• September 1, 2011: Here's a link to the Press and Interview section of the Rochester People site, with links to James interviews about the event. Many thanks to Jon at Restore Rochester Castle Committee for sending the link.
Plus: just today, tons of John Carter stuff is just starting to emerge. The teaser trailer will premiere ahead of Harry Potter on Friday! I love everything i'm hearing about this film!! YAY!! Here are a few links or interest.
• June 15, 2011: First, very teasy poster of John Carter (of Mars) released today!! Mr. Kitsch is looking mighty fine, though no James, yet. But I can hardly stand the wait to see the trailer before Harry Potter 8 next month!! WOO HOO!
• June 13, 2011: A wonderful interview with the "terribly pretty" James over at Telegraph.co.uk.
• June 12, 2011: James is jealous of Hugh Grant? Nah! He just wants to do rom coms. http://www.express.co.uk. Well, I'm not really into rom coms myself, but I'd sure love seeing James in anything. He's quite talented with comic timing... something he doesn't get a chance to do too often. :)
Sooo excited!! Looks like we'll be getting a trailer for John Carter (of Mars) before the final Harry Potter film!! WOO HOO!!! :D
• May 28, 2011: "The BBC reveals today that Patrick Stewart, David Morrissey, Rory Kinnear, Lindsay Duncan, David Suchet and James Purefoy are to appear together in the first of a run of four big-budget Shakespeare plays to be made for television..." http://www.guardian.co.uk/Awesome sauce!! :D
A lovely photo of James from Injustice. I can't wait to see the miniseries!! :D
• May 21, 2011: Another oh SO Lovely pic of James for Fault magazine!! Mmmm so nice!!
• May 10, 2011: Injustice on DVD is now available for pre-order from Amazon.uk. If you live in the US you'll need a multi-retion DVD player to view it. Amazon UK wil ship worldwide. And check out this new pic of James from the show... Almight God but WOW!!! THUD! ;)
• April 17, 2011: According to the official Solomon Kane facebook page, it looks like the evil-vanquishing puritan is headed to US theaters - FINALLY!! Check it out: http://www.facebook.com/solomonkanethemovie
• March 4, 2011: Been out all day long so now catching up on things. Firstly hoping opening night for Flare Path was smooth and wonderful for James and the entire cast! Nettie and I were there in spirit and it was on our minds all day today. :)
Ok, now, it's time for the latest news and interviews via various sites:
• February 24, 2011: Lots of fun goodies today. Firstly, a nice little short video of James talking about filming Ironclad. This is via the Ironclad Film page over on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/video/video (sorry, no embed available)
• January 31, 2011: Here's a nice little interview with director, Andrew Stanton about John Carter of Mars. I really like Andrew and I love what he says, even though there is no mention of James. I can hardly stand the wait for the film!!
• January 23, 2011: Don't miss the two little video clips of James at the WFTV 2010 Awards posted to Facebook and to the Videos page here. Thanks so much Susanne!
• January 21, 2011: Several news tidbits today. Save The British Film Industry.com. More info here...
MIPTV will host the Camelot International Premiere Screening. I'll keep my eyes open for images of video from the event if James makes an appearance. More info here...
James talks about What Makes A Dandy in an article at RichardJames.co.uk. "The dandy is a portrait of studied carelessness, but without the appearance of study." -James. Thanks Red!
• January 20, 2011: Looks like the soundtrack for Ironclad is to be released March 1st, though I'm not sure if this is a US, UK, or wide release: www.aceshowbiz.com. Anxiously awaiting film release news for the US and elsewhere... hope we'll get it soon!
Also, looks like there is a podcast about Camelot. Click here for more info and the link to listen: monstersandcritics.com
• January 19,2011: Yippeee!! Disney moves the release date up to March 8, 2012 for John Carter of Mars! It makes the long wait a little shorter, which is okee dokee in my book! :D Deadline.com
• January 18, 2011: James is now supporting the Sharpes Children's Foundation charity. Here's more info! www.sharpeschildren.com Thanks Red for the update!
• January 10, 2011: The official trailer is now out for Starz Camelot! Here is the link. :) www.insidetv.ew.com
• January 4, 2011: Director Michael Bassett posted a nice message and behind the scenes photos from Solomon Kane to honor the passing of actor Pete Postlethwaite: Michael J Bassett's Blog.
Also, a behind the scenes short for Starz Camelot has been released. Hardly any sign of James in this, sadly. But the show looks good! :)
A release date for Ironclad has been announced for the UK: March 4th. As more dates come out I'll be sure to post them here.
• January 3, 2011: I am very sad to report that actor Pete Postlethwaite, who starred in many films, including Solomon Kane opposite James, has passed away. He was an incredible talent and he will be greatly missed. :( New York Daily News.
• January 1, 2011: A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone! And I've got the prefect gift for all you James lovers, too. Thanks so much to Lynne for sending me this link...
• December 29, 2010: Back from vacay and the only new bit of news since I've been away is that Camelot will debut on Starz on April Fool's Day (April 1st). CraveOnline.com. Let's hope they aren't pulling our legs. ;) Happy New Year Everyone!! :D
ALERT: There will be a sneak preview of Camelot after the season finale of Spartacus on Feb. 25, 2011 Don't miss it!
• December 6th, 2010: Man about town that he is, James was at the Moet British Independent Film Awards 2010 last night. Images up at GettyImages.com and WireImage.com.
• December 3, 2010: James attended The Sky 3D Women in Film and Television Awards 2010 in London yesterday. Lovely images at GettyImages.com and WireImage.com.
• November 27, 2010: Oh so darling pics of James - Lacoste VIP Lounge at the ATP World Tour Finals! Simply edible in that awesome hat and scarf. :D www.gettyimages.com
• November 25, 2010: A Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
James is expected to appear at the WFTV Awards on 3DTV channel, Sky 3D. I hope someone over in the UK can catch this one. www.Variety.com
• November 20, 2010: I just had to share this amazing fan video I discovered on YouTube. Solomon Kane set to one of my very favorite songs, "Burn My Shadow" by Unkle and a tribute for James. I've contacted the creator about adding this to the fan video section of the site. It's wonderful!! Enjoy! :D
• November 17, 2010: Check out James wearing "Hands Up Not Handouts" bracelets from Palestine. This is SO cool! :D
A couple of sneak peeks of the upcoming John Carter of Mars. No James in the video, but a look at the set as it's being built and a little storyboard. YAY! Exciting! :DClick to see storyboard art.
• November 10, 2010: It's been very quiet on the Purefoy front lately, but I think it's the lull before the storm. James has several things coming out in 2011, etc., and I'm sure soon we'll be hearing more and more about them, and other new projects.
• October 24, 2010: Joseph Fiennes is interviewed for Starz Camelot. Here's the full article followed by an exerpt. www.collider.com
What role is James Purefoy playing in the series?
CHIBNALL: He is appearing as King Lot, who is one of the great warlord power brokers, when Arthur attempts to ascend to power, so you'll see him from the first episode. He is one of the most fearsome villains I've seen on television and film for awhile. James absolutely jumped at the chance to do the show and has given us something really specific. He is a mean guy.
FIENNES: He's done an amazing job. On set we call him "James Pure Joy," so it's incredible that he's manifested such a mean-spirited warlord.
Pure Joy! Oh yes he is! Been calling him that for years now. LOL! :D
• October 19, 2010: Very nice reviews of Ironclad at www.Deadline.com! (thanks red!)
Also, there will be a screening of Ironclad in the Los Angeles area. Here's the info and a link: www.thescreeningexchange.com. This open for anyone under the age of 39.
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Showtime: 7:30 PM
6360 W. Sunset Blvd
Hollywood, CA 90028
• October 17, 2010: Sorry for the delay in news tidbits. I've been without my computer for about a week. Here's the latest:
- There was a special cast and crew screening of Ironclad on October 10th in London at the Empire Leicester Square. I've not seen any photos or articles from this so if you have please message me so I can post them. Thanks :D
• October 7, 2010: In the UK Channel 4 will show Camelot!! http://www.iftn.ie/news. When more channel news comes out for other places around the world I'll be sure to post it.
• October 6, 2010: Starz pimps its shows, including Camelot. The very tiny little snippet is at about 47 seconds in, and there's no James in the footage. I can hardly wait for the show!!
• October 4, 2010: A cute little interview with James' brother, William Purefoy from back when James was filimng Rome season 2. He mentions James a few times. William Purefoy Interview 9.2010 (pdf)Many thanks to Tracy for sending it to me. :)
• September 9, 2010: Looks like another new project for our boy. The film "Past Imperfect." Starring opposite one of my very fave actresses, Gillian Anderson! SWEET! www.cocoandclaude.com/pastimperfect.htmlThanks Patri! :D
There's more info here, but this makes me think it's too early to get too excited about this: http://www.cinando.com/.. We shall see...
• September 8, 2010: A nice little interview with James in Mexico for Solomon Kane. Thanks Roberto for sharing this on Facebook!
• August 29, 2010: Matthew Gant, designer for Injustice, has a portfolio website. Maybe he'll post some of his designs for the show there soon. http://www.fracture.ltd.uk
• August 28, 2010: Press Release today - Injustice, a new TV series project for James! It's iTV so I think that's just for the UK. Praying those of us outside of the UK will get to see it. www.iTV.com
• August 25, 2010: The Ironclad panel with pics, video, and transcript is up at EmpireOnline.com. James talks John Carter of Mars, and Jason Flemming teases him over his hand gestures. Love Jason and that marvelous enthusiasm!! :D
• August 22, 2010: Two photos of James from the Empire Movie Con promoting Ironclad! www.empireonline.com. Love that scruff! ;)
• July 31, 2010: Correction!!: Solomon Kane will be opening in Mexico on August 11th titled something like "Demon Hunter" and James will be there to help promote the film... It will open in Argentina on September 30th.
Solomon Kane' (bajo el nombre de 'Cazador de Demonios'...) aterriza en los cines de México el 13 de agosto de la mano de CorazónFilms. Además, el 11 de agosto James Purefoy estará en México capital para promocionar la película. James Purefoy estará el 11 de agosto en México DF promocionando Solomon Kane, que se estrena en los cines de México el 13 de agosto.
• July 23, 2010: A new sneak peek of Ironclad, with a few brief glimpses of our James. I love the cast and can hardly wait to see it!! www.tv.fooyoh.com
• July 21, 2010: Starz announces start of production on "Camelot" series to air in early 2011. James will star as King Lot and filming is currently taking place in Ireland. Fabulous!www.tvbythenumbers.com
• July 16, 2010: James was at the Inception VIP screening the night of July 13th, along with the rest of the cast of Starz "Camelot." Yes, it seems our boy will be a part of that production. More info when it emerges. There is a tiny photo of James from the screening, in all of his scruffy glory. YUMMMY! ;) www.showbiz.ie/news
• July 11, 2010: There will be an Ironclad panel at Comic Con, no info on whether James will be there. Here's the full Friday schedule link: www.comic-con.org/cci/cci10_prog_fri.php and basic info:
Time: 8:30-9:30 pm, Room 7AB. Ironclad Panel and Footage— A medieval Magnificent Seven that combines the visceral action of 300 with the impassioned heroism and romance of Braveheart, Ironclad is a violent action thriller that tells the true story of a motley crew of tough, battle hardened warriors, who withstood several brutal and bloody months under siege, in a desperate bid to defend their country’s freedom. Starring James Purefoy, Paul Giamatti, Brian Cox, Kate Mara, Jason Flemyng, and Derek Jacobi. Filmmakers Jonathan English (Minotaur), Andrew Curtis (Lost In La Mancha), and Rick Benattar (Shoot 'em Up) will screen an 11-minute battle sequence from the film and host a Q&A afterward. Special surprise guests to appear!
Also - Via Michael Bassett's Blog - Michael Moorcock, World renowned science fiction and fantasy writer said of Solomon Kane: "LOVED Solomon Kane. One of the best supernatural adventure stories I’ve ever seen, true to the spirit and mood of Howard, great camerawork and editing. James Purefoy was perfect as Kane.Why this hasn’t got substantial American distribution I don’t know. I would work with Bassett any day on the strength of this film.” - This is one of the coolest things evah!! :D
• May 17, 2010: Firstly, encouraging news posted over at the Conan forum by Wandering Star. A possible Autumn US relase in theaters of Solomon Kane! YAY!
And, eleven minutes of Ironclad was shown at Cannes. There's a brief writeup and short interview with the director Jonathan English over at HeatVisionBlog.com.
• May 10, 2010: Five Facts About Solomon Kane via Xtreamer Magazine with a short interview with James.www.magazine.xtreamer.net.
• May 7, 2010: Ironclad overcomes financial woes. Also, looks like an 11 minute clip will be shown at Cannes. Reported at www.Variety.com.
• May 2, 2010: Solomon Kane second in Top 10 the in World, 2010. Too bad the US, Australia, and other countries who have not gotten a release of Kane are not included in "the world."
• April 30, 2010: James joins Beating Bowel Cancer charity. He said, "I'm supporting Beating Bowel Cancer's BE LOUD! BE CLEAR! campaign, having lost a close friend to bowel cancer when she was in her thirties. This tragedy highlighted to me that the disease can strike at any age. I urge people to get symptom-aware and see their doctor early if they're worried." Thanks Redhol2000.
• April 27, 2010: Why is it Brit actors are playing American characters? Well, James has an interesting little quote about that, "We are often referred to in Los Angeles as white Mexicans" -James Purefoy on the attitude towards British actors/ news.bbk.co.uk
* April 25, 2010: James attended the Audi Sponsors Cinderella Ballet at The Royal Opera House in London last night.
• April 22, 2010: James to participate in the panel for BFI discussion, "Making it in the States: British actors and directors on American TV" Here's more info: www.blogcatalog.com.
John Carter of Mars, Steve Meyer 3D rendering test footage of a Green Man from Barsoom! www.examiner.com. The video is a mixture of other work This has me filled with utter GLEE this morning! :D
• April 20, 2010: A nice interview with Michael Bassett for Solomon Kane via CuttingEdge.be.
So quiet lately, but hopefully we'll get some confirmation of new project stuff very soon.
• March 26, 2010: Nice write up over at The Cimmerian. A bit of speculation about the Solomon Kane DVD release, worldwide theatrical release dates, and possibilities. Though this sounds pretty hopeless for a US theatrical release, still, I'm holding onto hope... www.thecimmerian.com
• March 24, 2010: Stilt walkers needed for John Carter of Mars filming in southern Utah. www.crazeagency.com
• March 23, 2010: John Carter of Mars begins filming in Austin, TX. www.examiner.com. As far as I'm aware, James isn't filming in TX. The scenes filmed here should be the pre-Mars ones.
• March 17, 2010: John Carter of Mars, currently filming in London, will be shooting in Kane county, Utah. www.sunset.net...
• March 12, 2010: James participates with other celebs in the Amnesty International Everyday Should Be Mother's Day initiative. View the video here:
• Feb. 10th, 2010: James snagged a quick shot of the Solomon Kane bus ad in London. This was originally posted on Mike Bassett's blog. Very cool!!
• Feb. 9th, 2010: Another wonderful video interview with James at Film4.com.
And, a bit of news about filming John Carter of Mars in Utah: DenverPost.com.
• Feb. 8, 2010: James is interviewed on BBC News Morning show for Solomon Kane. I just LOVE this. http://news.bbc.co.uk
And, The Sun featured an article on Solomon Kane, too, with great photos. Mmm, that bod all tattooed. Nice! TheSun.co.uk
And, James participated in a charity event as a contestant in a quiz to raise money for the Centrepoint charity for homeless people. No photo of James has surfaced yet that I can find, but here is a brief writeup. Guardian.co.uk
• Feb. 7, 2010: Swashbuckling James tells all about his injuries while filming Solomon Kane. Of course I really want them to get to do the trilogy, but I'll worry myself to bits over his wellbeing. Cant' help it. DailyRecord.co.uk
• Feb. 6, 2010: Such darling "Photo Booth" pics of James a the Mat Szwajkos website: http://szwajkos.com - Click on "Celebrity" on the left, then click on "InStyle Celebrity Photo Booth, then click the right arrow at the bottom and he's the fifth photo from the left. Yummy!! ;)
• May 25, 2010: Action Aid UK Radio Ad with James -" If you live in the West Country [England] tune into Heart FM and keep your ears out for our ad. We’d like to say a huge thank you to Hollywood actor and South West resident James Purefoy who very kindly donated his time and voice to record our advert." Hoping they will post this audio on their website at some point.
• Jan. 1, 2010: Producer Paul Berrow reports: Solomon Kane #2 in Spain on opening day! (click here)
Paul Berrow, "Well here it is. Opening night we landed the number 2 slot very slightly behind the mighty Avatar in the stats.This is really great news for the start of the New Year....the distributors are very happy and tell me the natural response to the film has surprised even their optimistic expectations. They have been great believers in the franchise right from the start and supported the unique approach to the material. I can see the Spanish speaking world going bright green on my web audit software this morning.Its an important language in global terms as you can imagine.Roll on 2010!"
• Dec. 30, 2009: More from Spain. Two web interviews with oh so lovely images of James. Also an interview with Mike Bassett. These are in Spanish, but you can either use the Google toolbar or paste the URL into search and click "translate page":
• Oct. 24, 2009: Two articles from WalesOnline.com about Ironclad beign filmed at Dragon Studios in Cardiff, England.-http://www.walesonline.co.uk The video at the top of the one below seems to have nothing to do with the article. Maybe it's an error and they'll correct it at some point. -http://www.walesonline.co.uk
Fab response to Solomon Kane at Fantastic Fest in Austin TX!
•Sept. 25, 2009: Excellent Friday Night Flicks review of Solomon Kane from Fantastic Fest! fridaynightflicks.com
•Sept. 24, 2009: Today Michael Bassett and Paul Berrow are in Austin, TX for Fantastic Fest where Solomon Kane will be showing. the latest news is pending at Solomon Kane on Facebook.
•Sept. 23, 2009: From TIFF: Introduction and Q&A with Michael Bassett and James. The videos are very dark, but the sound is pretty good. moviemoxie.blogspot.com
Plus, Tomorrow is the day for Kane in Austin, TX. If only I could have scored tickets, I would have found a way to go! DRAT! Michael Bassett will attend, but James was unable to be there for this showing. fantasticfest.bside.com
• August 16, 2009: More Comic Con images as of August 09 Through the Lense Blog spot. (click here)
• July 31, 2009: Loverly little Q&A with James for MyLife & Action Aid. Good Stuff!! (click here)
• July 28, 2009: More about that injury James got on the set of Solomon Kane. Sounds so scary, thank God it was not serious! (click here)
• July 26, 2009: Photo and a little tidbit from the set of Philanthropist. (click here)
• July 25, 2009: • The First COMIC CON review of the Kane presentation there: (click here) And here's Michael Bassett's first Tweet after arriving at the Con: "walking through crowds at SDCC with James P getting stopped every 10 yards, I spend most of my time taking pictures for people with James." LOL! Yep, figured that would be the case. :)
• July 24, 2009: Seems James posted a write up about the Philanthropist Episode 5, Kosovo. Very very nice. (click here)
•July, 24, 2009: Several new Kane news bits and LOVE the new images and poster!! (click here)
Also, some news about Kane at Comic Con. (click here)
IMDB will be updated with Comic Con news so keep watch. (click here)
Seems there will be posters ready to be signed for Kane at the Con. (click here)
•July, 21, 2009: Kane invited to Toronto Film Festival-Dates forthcoming. (click here)
• July 20, 2009: You can now download full episodes in regular and HD versions from iTunes store! :)
• July 15, 2009: James at the Burma VJ UK Film Premiere. Lovely photo. (click here)
• July 11, 2009: Three news bits:
- James is now working with ActionAid charity. A very lovely video! (click here) And some more about it here.
- The Fast & Loose theater has a new patron, James! (click here)
- James attended the Serpentine Gallery summer party in Hyde Park. (click here)
• July 8, 2009: James joined the anti-poverty group Action Aid (click here)
• July 7, 2009: A few news tidbits: James will join Michael Bassett for Comic Con in Calif end of this month. (click here)
• July 1, 2009: Seems James might not have gotten the chance to meet Pres. Obama when he visited the White House. (click here)
• June 28, 2009: A nice short interveiw with James about Philanthropist. Poor dear with all of his injuries and it's so nice to feel his excitement over the show. :) (click here)
• June 25, 2009: Nice lengthy interview with James and Tom Fontana about Philanthropist. (click here)
• June 23.2009: Another NEW Interview with James about Philanthropist (click here).
• Another great NEW Interview with James about Philanthropist (click here).
• NEW Interview with James about Philanthropist (click here) Yay! :)
• Brief mention of James in this article for The Philanthropist: (click here)
"Sameer loved being on set, said his father, and soon became good friends with co-actor Purefoy. He also plays tennis, swims and participates in monkeynastics, but wants to be an actor when he grows up." So sweet! :)
• James comes to the aid of S. Africa's street children (click here)
Not at all surprised knowing how wonderful James is. :)
"James Purefoy has without question delivered an extraordinary Kane, he put in months of training and i was impressed to say the least how he went about creating the character, gaunt and all! I think your going to love his performance all round. We have been blessed.
We wrapped the film on Friday and i am going on holiday for a weeks skiing with the kids. The Prints are rolling out the door next week ready for your eyes and ears!
The end credit sequence was holding us up a little but now its done it was worth the wait.....its terrific. Feeling quite emotional after all the many years work.....is it 12 or 13 or maybe even 14 since the idea first came to us!" [Emphisis added]
• March 13, 2009: NEW Pic of James while filming Philanthropist, from the Washington Post! Thanks to Teresa for sending this! :D
Click image for larger view - Mr. P... Lookin' GOOOOD!
• March 12, 2009: NBC Heats Up Summer lineup... from Television Week - Detroit,MI,USA
As for scripted series, “The Philanthropist,” starring James Purefoy, will air Wednesdays at 10 pm (with a “Talent” lead-in) beginning June 24. ... Ok, so what's a "talent" lead-in???This is gonna ROCK!! :P
• March 12, 2009: Diamonds will air on Canadian TV in April click here!
• Lord Richard Attenborough in Ironclad (Telegraph.co.uk) - I'm absolutely loving the cast! [Ironclad] is described as "an ultra-violent medieval action thriller"
Rupert Penry-Jones and Sheridan Smith today launched a £2.5 million scheme to get young people into theatre. The star of Spooks and the actress from Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps kick-started A Night Less Ordinary which will give away more than 500,000 free tickets to under 26-year-olds. The scheme was unveiled at the Donmar Warehouse. It is being organised by Arts Council England with extra money from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
...James Purefoy said: "Live theatre is like a secret you want to share - exciting, involving and different every time you tell the story. The beauty of this is that you can try different shows on for size and see what suits best, for free."
He recently visited LA and met with some execs there. Here is what he said about it:
"The main business of the trip was executed as well as it could be. A pitch to one of the studios for a new project. I love pitching; just going into a room full of execs and telling a story. Oddly this time I was nervous probably because I was doing it for the studio head and his team but once I was in the room it all came together. I did a bunch of meet-and-greets with other execs at various studios. Some of this was because I know they're developing projects I'm really interested in. So for these big fish, my bait was a little sneak peek at a 90 second teaser for Kane. Happy to say they were universally blown away by how it looks. Of course, a trailer can make anything look good, but still… nice to have such a powerful reaction. There's a real appetite for this film. It is so different from traditional fantasy fare."
I know I've said it before but, Dang It!! I CAN'T WAIT! :
• Jan 15, 2009: NBC's 'Philanthropist' might debut this spring... (read more) Also it's great to read that James' hamstring is all healed up and filming can commence! (read more)
• Jan 12, 2009: Episode 5 of the Philanthropist needs actors...
TV SERIES: THE PHILANTHROPIST, EPISODE 5
STARRING James Purefoy
NBC, Carnival, Stillking
Director: John Strickland
Shooting in Prague: 2-10 Feb, 2009
SYNOPSIS: Teddy Rist is a renegade billionaire who uses his wealth, connections and power to help people in need. In this episode Teddy attempts to build a new factory uniting Serb and Albanian workers in
ALL Roles speak English (except Old Serb) and actors need to be BE ABLE TO WORK LOCALLY IN PRAGUE.
JOVAN PEROVIC, LEAD. 40s-50s. Orthodox Christian Serb. Fit, sharp, focused.
FATHER TOMOR TOPANI. Lead. Serbian Priest, 30s. Genial, fatalistic, good-humored
GENTA COBAJ, LEAD. 30s. Albanian Muslim, beautiful woman.
IMAM HASIM HASSAN. LEAD. Muslim Cleric.
MILOS. Perovic's adopted son.
• Dec 30, 2008: You might find this interesting, the 2009 Theatrical Releases list... Scroll down to find Solomon Kane in the To Be Announced list. • Dec 26, 2008: Ironclad still on?(click here: pg 2 paragraph 3-in Spanish). This is interesting since James is no longer listed in the cast on IMDB.com.
Page 2 paragraph 3:“Tengo una cinta para la primavera del año que entra, se llama Ironclad, y se trata sobre la Carta Magna, la filmaremos en Berlín, durante tres meses, y tendrá actores muy interesantes como Richard Attenborough, Paul Giamatti y Bob Hoskings, será muy divertido, James Purefoy la protagonizará”, ahonda Moseley, quien actualmente toma clases de literatura en Londres."
Translated by Patri of JamesPurefoy.es (THANKS): “I have a new film in Spring of next year; its name is Ironclad and it's about the Magna Carta. It will be filmed in Berlin for 3 months and will have very interesting actors such as Richard Attenborough, Paul Giamatti and Bob Hoskings, it will be very fun, and James Purefoy will be the leading man.” says Mosely, who is taking classes of Literature in London."
• Nov. 4, 2008: Some musical score news for Solomon Kane. Click
• Oct. 30, 2008: We've all been wondering what James has been
up to over the past couple of months. Well, here's a bit about The Philanthropist: "...The network brought in "Battlestar Galactica's"
David Eick to run the show and has hired Peter Horton to direct the
first episode, which has been filming
in London, South Africa, and the Czech Republic..." Read the entire article here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2008/10/are-the-worlds.html
• James makes an appearance at Bumpkin restaurant launch.WireImage.com (search "James Purefoy")(thanx Lori!)
of WireImage.com. The man
is lookin' SO DAMN GOOD! Sighhhhh...
• October 20-22, 2008... Some great Kane info to wet our appetites! The
REH Forum click here. Thanks Redhol2000 for posting
to the JP Yahoo group!
played Edmund in King Lear and there were several fights in that. So,
all of last year, I was sword fighting. And then, I finished off that
year by doing a film, called Solomon Kane, which had
another bit of sword fighting. I really enjoy that part of the work."
- Philip Winchester
•August 4, 2008 NBCs The Philanthropist Eyes Foreign Money.NBC is looking for a foreign member of a partnership to projection half
the cost of the midseason drama, about a renegade billionaire who uses
his wealth, connections and power to help people in need no matter the
risks or costs. British actor James Purefoy (Rome) is in talks towards
the lead role. http://reviewsmovie.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/nbcs-philanthropist...
• July 8, 2008 James attended another Imogen Jones book launch!(Thanks Redhol2000)
Tuesday, July 08 2008: Imogen Edwards Jones - book launch party - celeb
update Trafalgar Hotel, 2 Spring Gardens, London, SW1, 6.30pm Imogen
Edwards-Jones, Jamie Theakston, James Purefoy Pearl Lowe, Simon Sebag
Montefiore, Claudia Winkleman, Wendy Holden, Nicky Haslam, Kirsty...
Author of the Babylon book series is joined by VIPs to celebrate June
30 publication of Pop Babylon, a fictional insiders' guide to the music
industry... NEW Getty Images Here: http://www.gettyimages.com...
Prince and The Pauper will air on UK TV Friday 18th July 1:00pm - TCM (Digital) 7pm on TCM
Synopsis: When the youthful heir to the British throne meets a street
urchin who looks remarkably like him, the mischievous pair decide it
would be great fun to trade places. However, after the boys swap identities
to fulfil their wishes for a different life, they find the grass is
not always greener on the other side. Adaptation of Mark Twain's classic
novel, starring Phillip Sarson, James Purefoy... (Thanks Redhol2000)
May 2008 Entry: - NEW Scrapbook
entry for SOLOMON KANE...(thanks Liz!) ..."James
P as Kane is very impressive and the supporting casting are no slouches
either. From a character and acting perspective, this thing is pure
gold. The sword fights are tricky to cut as I want to try and make each
one feel a little different from the last - and each one is justified
from a character point of view, which informs the nature of the combat.
Besides, James went to such lengths to learn the full choreography for
these things that it is unnecessary to cheat anything by fancy cutting
- I'd rather just let the scene play and enjoy the skill and agility
of the hero."... -Michael Bassett
More on our Solomon Kane page and at: http://www.michaelbassett.com/pages...
2008 - The year of SOLOMON KANE... (thanks
photography is completed on Kane. Now for the long-haul of post-production
to get it all into shape. James Purefoy is simply amazing as Kane and
so much of what's needed for the film is already in place and looking
quite wonderful. The character has been set up really well for the next
adventures which, I'm sure, will tap more completely into Howard's original
stories. There's a huge amount to be done to make sure it runs on time
and tells a compelling story but despite my exhaustion I'm very enthused
and confident that there really hasn't been anything like this before.
just a little fact for you real Kane fans; the final scenes of the film
were shot in England on the North Devon coast. It was all done on a
private estate which used to belong to the real Sir Richard Grenville....
March 16, 2008: Thanks to Reveuse for posting some new
Summit news on the forum. Even a poster! YAY! For some
reason the link won't translate. Sorry guys. Visit the forum "News
and Updates" section for the link. The photos are still not showing
on their site as of Easter sunday.
Purefoy is a delight to work with; he is giving his heart and soul to
this. He's in brilliant physical shape and his sword fighting is just
brilliant to behold and he's finding depth and sophistication within
the character in ways I really hoped he would. " -Michael Bassett
No surprise there! James always give it his all and with his grace and
the power he always radiates, well, he's going to be a real beauty to
behold in this role! Thanks Michael for posting this!! We're all giddy
with excitement!! :D
Jan 13, 2008: TV review: Roman gods must be laughing. Some great quotes here!
son will eat shit and die before he is recognised [as legitimate],"
Antony says to Cleopatra of her son, the offspring of the recently offed
Julius Caesar. This passes for flirting at the ramparts of what other
writers and historians have always encouraged us to believe was one
of the great passionate love stories of history. If Antony was anything
like this – played with handsome bastardly-ness by James Purefoy
– we're talking major love rat. He's a real charmer.\
think people need to understand that Van Helsing, being a rip off of
Solomon Kane, had a certain look to his costume, and there is really
no way around that when staying true to THE ORIGINAL character. It will
take this film coming out to prove it is NOT a revamp of VH. I have
faith that this will be fabulous and satisfying in a way VH didn't even
come close to. And not only that, but be an entirely DIFFERENT experience
from VH. But unless you're familiar with the original SK stories, there
is no way you can realize that there are certain elements that will
be familiar. It's just too bad VH keeps coming up with this film. I
highly recommend reading the stories to get a good idea of where this
film will be coming from and try to put VH out of your minds. ~Nada
Lovely photo of James on the set of Rome with two adorable little actresses.
Click photo for larger view.
pal Claudia of PollyWalkerOnline.com sent us this gorgeous photo of James on the set of Rome with two darling
young actresses from the show. Their mother, Mariana, gave us permission
to post the photo here. The girls each played Mark Antony's daughter
in the last episode. Thanks SO much Mariana and Claudia for sending
us this pic. It has to be one of our very favorites of James ever!
"As Canadian Prime Minister Adderly (Bruce Greenwood - Thirteen
Days), U.S. President Aimes (Christopher Plummer - A Beautiful Mind)
and other world leaders gather to meet at the G8 Summit, Leonie Adderly
(Rachelle Levefre - Life on Mars), grad student and daughter of the
PM, and Columbian union organizer Maria (Mia Maestro - Alias) are preparing
to release an explosive documentary about the conditions of the Columbian
Meanwhile, a U.S. military-engineered strain of smallpox is smuggled
into Canada and finds its way within the walls of the summit. With leading
CDC investigator Dr. Thom Lightstone (James Purefoy - Rome), U.S. Chief
of Staff Ellie Bruckner (Wendy Crewson - ReGenesis), head of the U.S.
Black Ops, Tate (Stephen McHattie - 300), and reporter Rebecca Downey
(Lisa Ray - Water) on-site, a search gets underway for the bio-terrorist
before the results turn deadly." Mmmm, Dr. L.ightstone, eh?
Can't wait! ;)
you to all who are keeping up with these things in the various groups
and forums, and those who have emailed me directly. I hope you don't
mind my posting the links here for any fans who might not have caught
them yet. I have just had dental surgery so been a bit out of sorts
for a few days. Will get back into things as I start feeling better.
Oct. 22, 2007: Write-up for Frankenstein. Excerpt:
Handsome, intelligent and deeply flawed, Clerval also works within the
field of stem cell research. But where his ex-wife conducts her research
for the public sector, his motivation is purely monetary and results
are handed over to the private sector. Still harbouring a deep love
for his ex-wife, he is genuinely concerned for Victoria and their terminally
ill son; she feels, however, that his interest stems from a desire to
sell her findings to the highest bidder and rejects his pleas to help
Oct. 21, 2007: Interview with James for Frankenstein. Excerpt:
"I play the part of Dr Clerval. He’s a specialist in stem
cell research, and runs and owns a large biotech company. He is very
much in the private sector, is very wealthy and, rather worryingly,
has unusual and strange contacts within the security and intelligence
communities." - James
Oct. 12, 2007: Interview With James for Frankenstein in Marie Claire
UK! If anyone can get me a copy of this please email
me!!! MarieClaire.co.uk Thanks
Holly for posting this on the JamesPurefoy2
Yahoo Group and to Brandywine for finding it! Great interview!
James is so funny! :P
Oct. 8, 2007: A Bit About Diamonds (Rough) Filming in South Africa http://allafrica.com/stories/200710080895.html Excerpt: "Ruthless Lucas Denmont (James Purefoy) is heir to his family's
once mighty, but now faltering, diamond conglomerate. Voracious and
desperate to restore the business to its former glory, Denmont will
stop at nothing; a stunning British model (Louise Rose) with roots in
West Africa is recruited as "the face" of the Denmont diamond
- and Denmont's 'diamond girl'- when she and Lucas fall deeply in love." More...
Oct. 3, 2007: A bit about Diamonds from Alchemy.tv!
Jacobi is one of our favorite actors, so seeing him in a project like
this with James is so exciting! Diamonds is really is going to be fabulous!!!
Thanks Ruth for sending this link.
• Oct. 2, 2007: NEW Miniseries (UK) Purefoy to star in The Summit!! From:
Mini: Robert Cohen reports he's producing the new miniseries The Summit
for CBC and Global. Shooting in town and Hamilton through October, the
cast of the Shaftesbery Films production set before a G8 summit includes
Christopher Plummer, James Purefoy, Bruce Greenwood and Mia Maestro. Thanks
Hollis for giving us the head's up!
Oct. 1, 2007: Purefoy to star in Solomon Kane!!
announced: "James Purefoy has been cast in the lead on Samuel Hadida's
upcoming comic book adaptation Solomon Kane. Following what the producers
called "an exhaustive search", they have finally found the
man to play the eponymous 16th century soldier and Puritan." Read
Sept. 15, 2007 - A Blog Review of Son of the Dragon Nice
excerpt here: "James Purefoy is the guest star of this story
and he is given a starring role. ...Purefoy’s presence is what
stands out in this story. The way that he portrays Count Dracula is
absolutely fantastic, his nice side and nasty rather gruesome moods
are what strikes you most about the role. The way that he is willing
to punish or torture someone without a moment of hesitation was quite
similar to most bad guys in Doctor Who but yet is somewhat better than
all of them. His role in the TV show Rome was Mark Anthony who was a
man who did what he wanted to do and was able to snap for no reason
but at the same time he manages to make the character of Dracula likeable.
I had high expectations of James Purefoy from the moment that I found
out that he was going to be in Son of the Dragon and I have to say that
I wasn’t disappointed."
are just dying to see James' portrayal of the "ruthless" Rupert!
Goodness but is he gonna be SMOKIN' in this role or what!!! Thanks Ruth
• A German article on Frankenstein at MonstersandCritics.com! GOOD LORD what a GORGEOUS pic of James!! Can't read the
thing, but that pic is a good enough reason to visit the link even if
you don't speak German. Thanks Ruth!!!
• ITV1Magazine has the very first mention of Frankenstein!
Aug. 22, 2007 - US DVD Release of A Dance to the Music of Time Here
is an excerpt of a nice review from blogcritics.com:
Purefoy (he played Reese Witherspoon's army officer husband in the movie
Vanity Fair and the Prince Of Wales in A Knights Tale) has the unenviable
task of playing the ultimate straight man, Nicholas Jenkins, through
whose eyes we see the whole story. He does a fantastic job of actually
finding ways of expressing character in what is essentially a plot device
around which all the other characters revolve. A lesser actor could
never have accomplished what he did given what little he had to work
with (my one complaint with the production is that they replace him
for the last reel with an older actor who is nowhere near as accomplished
– I wish they would have simply aged Purefoy as they did with
other actors)." More...
Aug. 20, 2007 - James' Radio Play: A Coup A
Coup will air on BBC Radio 4 on Sept 28th at 2:15 (UK time I think).
Thanks holly. And thanks to Ruth for this link with an excerpt from
the play: http://www.fictionfactory.co.uk/ACOUP-details.htm.
Once the play airs you can visit this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/to
listen afterwards. If anyone can record this let us know. We'd love
to get a copy!
Terribly Sad News!: Rome Set Destroyed by Fire... ROME
(Reuters) - Fire ripped through a section of Italy's famous Cinecitta
film studios late on Thursday, partly destroying the set for the HBO
television series "Rome." (More...)
you Patri for letting us know. We are so sad to hear about this. Bad
enough that the series is over but this really makes it feel final. :(
• August 8, 2007 - Rome’s Purefoy to star in Bruce Chatwin radio
play for BBC 4 Radio Rome
star James Purefoy is to feature alongside Royal Shakespeare Company
member Ben Onwukwe in a new play for BBC Radio 4 based on the memoirs
of travel writer Bruce Chatwin. Click
here for the full article.
so much Hollis for emailing us about this!
• August 8, 2007 - A bit about the Rome 2 DVD Release... Can't
wait for James' commentary!!! YAY! Here's a snippit from the article: "Also of note is James Purefoy’s devilishly keen insight
into the series’ production. Having done extensive preparation
for his role as Mark Antony, James Purefoy muses in his audio commentary
about the kinds of drugs that might have been used during Antony and
Cleopatra’s decadent reign and how Cleopatra might have been the
source of inspiration for Madonna’s cone shaped bra. “As
you can see, …[here is] Lyndsay Marshal sporting a very early
version of that famous Madonna outfit,” Purefoy comments. “See,
there is nothing such as originality, is there really?” Click
here for the whole article.
don't miss the link at the bottom of the article, too. Click
Here for the bit about the Rome costumes and another photo. Here's
a snippit: "Regarding Antony’s gorgeous wolf-skins, James
Purefoy keeps them in his bedroom as a sexy bed warmer. He also has
Antony's black armor and a slave dress for his girlfriend. " OMG!!!
His girlfriend is ... ohhh she's
just too lucky! How adorable is James!!! sighhhh
• August 4, 2007 - James at the Rome release party! CUUUTE!
• August 1, 2007 - James in Rough! From alchemy.tv "Following a trail of greed and obsession, this powerful mini-series
traces the international web that brings us diamonds - the world's purest
and most dazzling of gems. From the most fashionable enclaves of London
and Cape Town to the war ravaged villages of Sierra Leone, "Rough"
takes television viewers inside the glamorous – and often dangerous
and illegal – diamond industry."
Genny for letting us know official word was released on this! Can't
• July 20, 2007 - If only we had our way: This is who we would nominate
for Emmys (ah, it's but a dream) inRich.com says: "...For best actor in a drama: James Purefoy in HBO's "Rome"
because he made a historical figure -- Mark Antony -- the rowdiest,
craziest dude on TV, which is all the more impressive when you consider
that Denis Leary also has a series."
course we totally agree! We are extremely miffed and disappointed that
James (or any of the other actors on Rome) was not recognized. Appalling,
but this often happens with the greatest of talents both in acting and
music getting snubbed here in the US.
• July 19, 2007 - James Purefoy leads male admirers at Imogen's
was no mistaking the blonde author's delight as she posed for pictures
with handsome Somerset-born thesp James Purefoy." Click
here for the full article. Thanks Hollis for sending us this link!
• July 14, 2007 - Of course we hope James gets nominated for his portrayal
of Mark Antony! Here
is an article from StarTribune.com that mentions James as a favorite.
Purefoy, "Rome" (HBO): The year's best series provided a glorious
platform for this English gladiator who portrayed Marc Antony as, at
first, the meanest warrior this side of "Deadwood" and, eventually,
as a drug-addled reject of Andy Warhol's Factory. Friends, Romans, countrymen,
lend him your prayers. http://www.startribune.com/459/story/1299830.html
• July 13, 2007 - First bit about Frankenstein out this fall in the
...Mary Shelley's classic horror Frankenstein will also be given a new
twist, with Frankenstein re-born in the 21st Century as a female biologist.
The drama stars Helen McCory and James Purefoy. Click
here for the full article.
• July 3, 2007 - Emmy Nods Leaked Online Aha,
it looks like Rome is on the list for best drama in the list. Here's
a link: www.reuters.com
so much, Kimberly, for letting us know about this! We SERIOUSLY hope
James gets recognized for best actor! If not, it will be just WRONG!
• June 26, 2007 - James on FiveLive DailyMayo podcast Thanks
Holly for sending us the link. Great interview! LOVE James' American
guy impression! LOL!
• June 5, 2007 - BBC 2 has promo clips for Rome Supposedly
there is a lot of James in these. Hopefully you can view them. For some
reason some people get an error, but we wanted to post this for those
who can see them.
the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/noise/?programme=rome Thanx
again to Holly!
• June 2, 2007 - James attends a cancer charity
fundraising dinner and party at Hampton court Palace James
and his girlfriend attend the fundraiser for Raisa Gorbachev Foundation.
Photos are at gettyimages. (if James' images don't come up via this link, just type his name
into their search to see his images) Thank
you so much Holly for the head's up!
• May 16, 2006 - James images galore and an appearance at the CLIC
Sargent bigo event: Holly
comes through for us again! Girl, you ROCK! :D Dafydd
Jones images here WireImage
CLIC event images here.
• May 15, 2006 - It's official! James will be starring in I Hate Valentines
Day!: YES! We knew this would happen, but it's great to hear it is official! Click
here for the latest: http://www.canmag.com/nw. And we can't help but respond to the article's mention of "prosthetics"
on Rome... HA! We all know no "enhancements" were necessary
for our boy! WOOOF! :P
• May 10, 2006 - James makes an appearance at Gerrard Colour &
Cocktails party:You can see a tiny little photo of him from the event here: http://www.wireimage.com. Thanks again to Holly for posting this. :)
• May 12, 2006 - The Female Dr. Frankenstein:A bit more about Frankenstein on The
Sun website. It looks like Lindsay Duncan (Servilia from Rome) will
also be part of the cast. :D
• I Hate Valentines Day: Well, my sentiments exactly! HAHA!
James is in negotiations to star in this romantic comedy to be filmed
in Canada. Thanks soooo much Holly for emailing us about this. It sounds
like it's going to be a lovely role for James!
mischievous and dirty on the phone, so he's a joy to write for,"
Vardalos said about Purefoy. "The part was written for an American
guy in mind, but I'm now revamping the script to make it about a British
guy who doesn't understand the ways of American women." Oh, oh,
oh dear... mischievous and dirty... THUD! God we just LOVE this man!
• James listed on IMDB
as part of the cast of Frankenstein!: This
is a UK television production that is currently in pre-production. Supposedly
there is a brief writeup in The Guardian. We have reposted the article
here and wish to thank Holly for posting this on JamesPurefoy2 Yahoo group!
September 28, 2006
The creator of critically acclaimed medical drama Bodies and the producer
behind Walking With Dinosaurs are teaming up to develop a contemporary
version of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for ITV1. Jed Mercurio, the writer
responsible for Bodies and Cardiac Arrest, is
working on a script for a two-hour drama retelling Shelley's original
story in a 21st century setting, with the monster created using modern-day
Mercurio is expected to draw on his experiences as an NHS doctor, as
he did previously for Bodies and Cardiac Arrest. Frankenstein's monster
will be played by an actor, yet to be cast, but their performance will
be augmented by computer-generated special effects. A recent example
of this technique was seen in Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's
Chest, in which Bill Nighy's Davy Jones had a beard made out of tentacles.
ITV1's Frankenstein is being made by Impossible Pictures, the independent
production company set up by Tim Haines after he left the BBC, where
he oversaw projects combining CGI effects and live action, including
Walking With Dinosaurs.
Mr Haines will executive produce the Frankenstein project. "With
modern genetic and transgenic technology, the Frankenstein story is
even more relevant today than ever and there is perhaps no better writer
to tackle this than Jed," he said. The ITV controller of network
drama, Laura Mackie, who commissioned the script, said: "Frankenstein
is a universal and enduring story that lends itself to a contemporary
adaptation. Jed has come up with a fascinating new take on a familiar
• May 6 , 2007: Nice reviews of Beau Brummell - Don't Miss it on BBCA!!!: Ken's
• May 5 , 2007: THE SATURDAY LIST! Free Press critics' picks for this
weekend: Say hello to the original Suit Boy. The name's Beau
Brummell, the game's dandified fashion. And as the witty, bittersweet
tale unfolds in "Beau Brummell: This Charming Man" at 8 p.m.
Sunday on BBC America, we soon discover that for party hearty Beau Brummell
(James Purefoy, "Rome"), impeccable taste is not always accompanied
by impeccable judgment. The well-connected style icon of late 18th-
and early 19th-Century London essentially invented the modern suit,
persuading his pal the Prince of Wales (Hugh Bonneville) to ditch the
Regency Fop look of powdered wigs, painted faces and brightly colored
jackets for a more finely tailored, streamlined look. Alas, the impertinent
Brummell also pursued the debauched high life with his buddy Lord Byron
(Matthew Rhys, "Brothers & Sisters"), which besmirched
his reputation with unfashionable hedonist excesses. Oh, tacky, tacky. - Mike Duffy, Free Press TV critic
...Love scenes are never easy for the actors to act out, admits McKidd.
He feels especially sorry for James Purefoy, who plays the womanising
Mark Antony. “Poor James. At one point he said, ‘I’m so sick
of having to take my f***ing clothes off every episode!’”Click
Here for full article.
• Thanks Claudia for pointing us to these 3 lovely photos of James at www.tobymerritt.co.uk!!
Click #1, #18 and #19. :)
• April 15, 2007 - GentryStyle.com posted an article about Beau Brummell style and featured our little
Wonderful Beau video! Yayyy!
This is our updated version of the video with better
picture and sound!
• April 2, 2007 - Manchild A No Go... Well,
it looks like Manchild was not picked up by Showtime. Of course James
has other projects on the horizon and as soon as we learn any details
about those we will post them here. Don't be disheartened, we feel James
can do much better than what Manchild had to offer, though we would
have LOVED to see him every week on TV again, SIGH. Can't wait to hear
what else is coming up!!
James Purefoy, 42, cuts a dash on screen but he’s really a home-lover
with a passion for pasta. Click
Here for full interview. What a loooverly pic! :D
The BBC Somerset Short Story Competition has come to a close. They are
currently organizing the publication of the book, as well as the audio
side of the competition. Keep checking back on the page for a date for
when you'll be able to listen to the story on our radio station. www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/raw.
Sadly this is UK only. I hope we can find someone to record it so we
can get a copy. Please, if you're willing to do this, e-mail
us and let us know.
• March 23st - All Hail Rome - End of a Great Series: Very
nice article with well-deserved praise for our wonderful boy!
acting is superb. Special kudos go to James Purefoy, whose portrayal
of the troubled, drug-addled, lustful Mark Antony is a deeper, darker
version of Joaquin Phoenix’s Commodus in Gladiator." Click
Here to read the full article!
March 21st - James Plays Dracula in Dr. Who Audio Series! YAY!!: Thank
you so much, Lynne, for turning us on to this! We can't wait!!! Dr. Who New Audio Adventures
"Son of the Dragon"
Starring James as Dracula. This is just TOO cool!!! We are huge Dr.
Who and Dracula fans, so needless to say we are extremely jazzed about
March 1, 2007 James attends the stage performance Whip
If you're not on Mac, you can view the video below the article. Thanks
to Kelly for bringing this to our attention and to Patri for this cap
from the video.
February 10, 2007 James and his girlfriend attended the BAFTAS:
I wonder if he will present? We'll record it just in case. :D Thanks
to our pal Teresa for the heads up!
February 8, 2007 James and his girlfriend attended:
The Awards Of The London Film Critics Circle (ALFS). You can see the
image below at GettyImages.com.
Natural Justice Update February 9, 2007:
According to a source at Piper Films who graciously answered our query
about the status of Natural Justice, we have learned that James' role
is being recast. Of course we are saddened and disappointed to learn
this, but we also know that James will be moving on to do many wonderful
things! Thanks to Piper Films for taking the time to keep us up to date.
we are waiting to hear the status of Manchild! And of course any and
all new projects coming up for our boy! In the meantime, we hope to
see more Mark Antony than we got in last week's episode of Rome! Come
on, guys... we need a substantial weekly fix of our haughty and oh so
naughty Roman general! ;)
NEW BBC Somerset Interview
with James on Rome Season II. Ahhh, we could listen to James talk all day long. His lovely voice.
The way he expresses things! Wonderful!!! xo
• Goose on the Loose website updates, but still no release date. Sheesh! Come on guys, get with the program and give us some clue of when
we'll get to see this! And James isn't in the updated preview, Grrrrr!
Images of James at Burns Night Party Jan. 25, 2007! Nice coat!
Click images for larger view.
January 26, 2007: Mark Antony HUGE in Time's Square!
shot this great pic of the massive ad in Times Square. Delish!! Oh YES!
Thanks hon! It is located between 43rd and Broadway and may not be up
much longer so if you can get there to see it in person, go SOON! You
can click on the image to see a larger / closer view.
January 9, 2007: PUREFOY LOVES HIS CRAGGY 'FIELD' FACE (And so do WE though we feel that is a bit of an exaggerated description!!)
"Dashing British actor JAMES PUREFOY refuses to sign up for plastic
surgery to keep his leading man looks intact - because he wants to appear
rugged and craggy as he ages." Oh thank GOD! Just the mere
thought of our boy even considering plastic surgery would be so horrifying
it's unthinkable!! He has true beauty and every line, every little sign
of age on him is like fine art! Click
Here to read the whole bit.
New Yorker - Power Play Rome Returns to HBO
"First to stake his claim is Mark Antony (James Purefoy). Antony
is an ill-tempered sot, but you have to admire his balls, if only because
he waves them about so in repeated nude scenes. Seeking to bully Cicero
(an exquisitely diffident David Bamber), the conscience of the Senate,
into proposing that he govern Gaul, Antony sits his reluctant ally down.
Then he approaches, menacingly parts his tunic—and urinates onto
a nearby plant.
CICERO (shrinking away): The Senate would know I was backing you only
through—through fear of death.
ANTONY: Oh . . . (mock dawning comprehension) Oh, I understand. You
do not want to seem cowardly. Well, tell them I bribed you." Click
Here to read the entire review!
• January 8, 2007: Purefoy Refuses to Get Naked
for Rome Directors "There were directors who were disappointed that I didn't get buck-naked...
I would just go, 'Why? Tell me the reason...." Read the full article here.
yes, we agree with James reasons for his refusal, but still we are selfish
and will miss seeing Mark strutting around toga-less. :P
there is also this nice quite from James about the whole V for Vendetta
situation. We feel for ya, James:"That was a bit of a debacle.
I don't really want to talk about it. We all promised that it was best
left that we had creative differences. Sadly, some people since have
broken that promise, but I'm a gentleman." British actor James
Purefoy on leaving the comic book adaptation V For Vendetta. 08/01/2007
more I read about [Mark Antony], the more I looked into him in history,
he's just unbelievably tragic - what happened to him in the end - and
certainly the way we've played it, which is, I think, going to be very
different from how anybody else has ever... Those scenes, especially
him and Cleopatra at the end, there's clearly something very tragic
about it. It's really interesting just getting your head around a man
of that size and what he's reduced to, and how he can deal with her
betrayal of him... And, you know, a great Roman general who sincerely
believed he was a sun god. Get your head round that one," says
here for full article
December 23, 2006: Manchild has wrapped!
According to Kevin Smith on his latest blog, Manchild wrapped sometime
last week, so our lovely man has probably returned to London for Christmas
with family and friends. We believe his next project will be Natural
Justice, which is supposed to start filming in January. We hope that
maybe, possibly, in 2007 year he will do some stage work! We would have
to make time in our busy schedules to get over there to enjoy him on
stage, and MAYBE even get to meet him... <<beg>>
The NEW January Issue of Out magazine has our boy on the cover!
...and talk about WOW! That look... I'm feeling... a bit.... light-headed...
Barnes and Noble carries this magazine! We now have nice scans from
this in your Magazines Gallery! Purrrrrrr! :P
here for full article in Spanish! Thank you Patri for all of your
HARD work! Once the magazine is off the stands, we will post the full
Rome Episode 13 News Click
here to read the synopsis of Ep #13 "Passover"the
first episode of season 2! YAY!
just got our Premiere mag and flipped all the way through until BAM
- we hit the inside back cover and Woo Hoo... Mark Antony all lovely
Goose on the Loose Soooo, it seems we are going to have to wait
until Dec. 2007 for this film that wrapped back in 2002! Sheesh, what
is the deal with this movie. I'm seeing '07 on all but the IMDB site
for this. Click
here for some basic stock info. Also, we were turned onto an Italian
site that is selling the DVD, but you have to have an Italian "tax
ID number" to order. Unfortunately, we don't know anyone in Italy
to order for us. Phooey! Well, patience is a virtue - :) Oh, and while
you're there, you may want to check out James'
actor stock info. Hmmmm.
Rome videos - ok,
so we're a little late on this, sorry - we were out of town...
**thanks to LadyPurefoy for turning us on to these new updates**
Visit HBO's website for clips from
the new season of Rome. Good Lord, the Mark Antony vid and the Atia
vid, YUMMY to see Marco in action again. SWOON! New eps start Jan 14,
9pm EST! We can't wait! Lots of updates to the HBO site! Goooo!
Manchild pilot currently being filmed - Surf's Up!
Thank you "pdsbkup" from James Purefoy 2 Yahoo group for this
tidbit: Kevin Smith was on the Craig Ferguson show last evening and
he mentioned they were filming the pilot - Manchild. In the opening
scene the 4 actors (including James) are surfing in the Pacific Ocean! ~good lord! I would have melted away into a puddle of joy if I could
have been there for that!
November 30, 2006: Temptation, Torment & Retribution Rule Season
Two of HBO's Rome
News courtesy of CNW Group - NewsWire.ca
Premiering on The Movie Network and Movie Central on Sunday, January
at 9 p.m. ET/ 8 p.m. PT
TORONTO, Nov. 30 /CNW/ - Astral Media's The Movie Network (eastern Canada)
and Corus Entertainment's Movie Central (western Canada) present the
exclusive Canadian premiere of the second season of the Emmy(R) Award-winning
epic drama series, Rome, debuting day-and-date with HBO on Sunday, January
14 at 9 p.m. ET on The Movie Network and 8 p.m. PT on Movie Central.
Season two begins in a frantic rush for position and power by political
and personal factions triggered by Gaius Julius Caesar's assassination
in 44 BC. Caesar's bodyguard, Lucius Vorenus descends into near-madness
over his failure to protect his charge, but Titus Pullo soon returns
to Rome to help him put his shattered life back together. Mark Antony
aligns himself with Atia and her son Gaius Octavian, appointed in Caesar's
will as his son and heir, while Cleopatra arrives to pay respect to
her fallen lover and win legitimacy for the son she claims Caesar fathered.
Brutus and his mother Servilia ponder how to curry favour with the pro-Caesar
here for full article)
Thanks Aurianne for letting us know the dates for James' upcoming film
Natural Justice. It will begin filming in January and will be shot in
London and Budapest.
NEW Rome Posters posted here!
here is Mark Antony's poster. Yummy!! Click
here for a version without words over his lovely face!
James Chairty Contributions!
to our lovely friend Lady Purefoy, we now have news of some of James
Rome Wrapped on Friday: Nov. 10, 2006
"Rome Historian's" blog, Rome has wrapped. So, James will
be back in London spending quality dad time with his son for about a
month or so. Next for him should be Natural Justice then Manchild I
assume. Thanks to our good pal Shelia for alerting us to this latest
Showtime's men: Smith and Purefoy - Hollywood
Reporter: Nov. 09, 2006
and James Purefoy have been tapped to star in the Showtime comedy pilot
"Manchild," from Darren Star Prods. and Sony Pictures TV.
"Manchild," based on the BBC series, revolves around a group
of fortysomething male friends (Smith, Purefoy, John Corbett, Paul Hipp)
who are knee-deep in midlife crises.
Smith will play Paul, the cynic of the group, an angry divorced guy
who loathes himself, his ex and his ex's perfect new husband.
British actor Purefoy will play Joe, the ad
hoc leader of his circle of pals. He is attractive, polished, virile
and wealthy, goes to the hottest new clubs and doesn't date anyone over
25... Click here for the whole article. at the Hollywood Reporter.
- The above
article gives the final word on the final season of Rome, too. :(
• James is currently filming the second season of Rome - and their
almost finished. Click here to view the Mark Antony segment from the HBO preview.
After that, in Jan, he'll be filming Natural
Justice in the London area. There is new casting info on the Piper
Films site. They waited for James, because they felt he was so perfect
for the role they didn't want to recast. Very cool! I sure hope it gets
released here in the US! But seeing the director's list of previous
films, only released in the UK, doesn't give me much hope of getting
to see it here on the big screen. Most likely we'll have to wait fo
the DVD in 2008. :(
The Stage TV Review
By HARRY VENNING
Edward Teach was a cut above your average pirate captain. Intelligent,
erudite, charismatic and bold, Teach also displayed a flair for publicity
that Max Clifford could learn from. With one eye firmly fixed on posterity,
he ensured that his every entrance was theatrical, his appearance was
spectacular and his exploits never less than sensational. Without the
help of a PR agency, focus groups or market research he also acquired
a terrific pirate brand name instantly recognisable on both sides of
the Atlantic - Blackbeard... Click
here for full article...
'Rome' DVD set has abundant bonus features
By BRUCE DANCIS
"Rome," the ambitious HBO/BBC coproduction that combines historical
realism with soap opera relationships, has been released in a DVD set
which matches in grandeur both the production and its subject. The complete
first season, a 12-episode tale of ancient Rome in the era of Gaius
Julius Caesar, is packaged in an elegant six-disc DVD box (HBO Video,
$99.98, TV-MA) with an abundant 20 hours of bonus features and interactive
here for full article...